an independent Public School, WESS is required to have a School Council.
The School Council provides an important aspect of School Governance at WESS
and has been in operation since 10 June 1998. The School Council’s role
is to monitor the school’s strategic direction. It meets at least twice
Education (General Provisions) Act 2006 specifies School Council functions and
requires a School Council Constitution.
functions of the School Council are outlined in the Act and are to:
- monitor the school’s strategic direction
- approve plans and policies of the school of a strategic nature, or other documents affecting strategic matters including the annual estimate of revenue and expenditure for the school
- monitor the implementation of the plans, policies and other documents mentioned above
- advise the school’s principal about strategic matters.
council must perform its functions with a focus on improving student learning
Council is proactive in encouraging Council membership to represent the school
per the current Constitution, the number of members of the WESS Council is ten
and composed of:
- three elected parent/carer members
- three elected staff members (representing teaching, teaching support and non-teaching staff)
- up to two appointed members who bring specific knowledge and experience to assist the Council to set and monitor strategic direction
- the President of the School Parents & Citizens’ (P&C) Association
- the School Principal.
of these members is elected as Chairperson of the School Council, except the
School Principal who cannot be elected as Chairperson.
Contact the school council on the